[Tutor] What is the difference between the now depreciated threading module and the multiprocessing module

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue Oct 4 23:35:21 CEST 2011

>I was wondering if anyone could tell me why threading was depreciated; and give me a use case for the >multiprocessing : Queue function in python 2.7.

Threading was *not* deprecated Python 2.x or 3.x
http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/library/threading.html?highlight=threading#threading
http://docs.python.org/library/threading.html

Threading is for single process programs that want to emulate being multi-process while multiprocessing actually creates different processes.  The multiprocessing module docs say:
"[sic]multiprocessing is a package that supports spawning processes using an API similar to the threading module. The multiprocessing package offers both local and remote concurrency, effectively side-stepping the Global Interpreter Lock by using subprocesses instead of threads. "

You can read about the multiprocessing module here: http://docs.python.org/library/multiprocessing.html#

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423