[Tutor] a quick Q: how to use for loop to read a series of files with .doc end

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 22:36:20 CEST 2011

Hi Lina,

On 8 October 2011 18:18, lina <lina.lastname at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I write mainly critical speed code and large memory code that are meant to
> run as hug jobs over cluster (transportability is an issue;
> my C code is really faster than my Maple code; interpreter language are
> good for development of algorithm in view to write a fast C code;
> speed does not involved human time but machine time; I do not really care
> about candy interfaces; for human interface Python and alike are recommended
> but BASH (and even DASH) can do very good job; I am not sure that a
> scientist is more concerned with interface than with efficient code except
> for
> visual stuff; being very familiar with of a given language is certainly
> better than  knowing superficially a lot of languages;
> as a lot of interpreter languages, Python has a huge manual; C manual is
> rather small; D is both a interpreter language and a compiler language:
> it is why I want to learn D: no more need to write wrapper that can be
> boring and that can be bottle neck.

I should think that the Core Python *language* manual is almost certainly
smaller than the C one.  (The base Python language is actually rather small
and concise. What typically makes Python books larger in general is I think
actually the (so called "batteries included") extensive set of libraries and
modules included and commonly available for the language, not the Python
language itself.)

As for the compiler/interpreter argument, I'll just point out again that
actually Python in its various forms can either be compiled and/or
interepreted, it depends on you really.  For compiled Python flavours, see
for example Cython (http://cython.org/) which provides a way to write C/C++
modules for Python effectively in Python syntax.  (Cython arguably also
makes the "need to write wrapper" comment a moot point.)   Or see Shedskin (
http://shed-skin.blogspot.com/), a Python to C++ static compiler), or Psyco
(http://psyco.sourceforge.net/introduction.html ), a JIT (Just In Time)
compiler for CPython.  Or see Pypy (http://pypy.org/) which is another
reimplementation of the Python language with an optimizing JIT compiler.
(The following post re realtime image processing in Python is rather

I'd like to also mention that there's many many Python packages of interest
or used by the scientific community, not least NumPy/SciPy (
http://numpy.scipy.org/ and http://www.scipy.org/).  For a more complete
list see: http://www.scipy.org/Topical_Software  You'll see that Python is
used extensively in many science and engineering contexts.  Lastly regarding
(user) interfaces -- as has already been pointed out, Python can obviously
do UI's, but it's by no means limited to being some sort of front-end

Anyway, I think I'll leave it at that for now.