[Tutor] extract specific column

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Oct 12 23:16:09 CEST 2011

On 10/12/2011 03:59 PM, Anna Olofsson wrote:

(PLEASE don't top-post.  And don't start multiple similar threads a
couple of hours apart. Send your message as text without tons of blank
lines, and don't assume the attachments will make it.  In my case, I
haven't a clue to what the file looks like.)
> From: olofsson_anna585 at hotmail.com
> To: tutor at python.org
> Subject: FW: [Tutor] extract specific column
> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:59:34 +0200
>

> The thing is, I don't know where to start. I know how to open the attached file, but I don't know how to work inside the file. Is this a csv file? Do I need to use a split function? In what way should I look at the file? As a string? As lines?

If you included about 5 lines of the file in your message, we might have
a clue.  When I saw the original message, I was going to respond with a
message about using [col, col+1], which would give you one character
from each line.

--

DaveA