[Tutor] Socket and Ports

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:20:48 CEST 2011

On 10/16/2011 8:28 AM, Jacob Bender wrote:
> Dear Tutors,
>      I've been having an issue with socket. I wanted to use it for
> transmitting strings over the Internet.

That's good, because strings is all you can transmit.

> The problem is that my friend insists that allowing python to transmit
> and receive information via an Internet port is a bad idea. He claimed
> that I could(and probably would) receive information that wouldn't
> necessarily do my computer any good(in a nutshell).

I am not the expert on this issue. My view:

once you establish a socket connection then you wait to receive data.
All the socket software (Python or other) does is receive a string. What
you do with it is up to you. If you apply eval or exec to it than
anything could happen. No one can IMHO cause any action via socket.

Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC