[Tutor] 12 hr to 24 hr time conversion

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 11:33:14 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Praveen Singh <c2praveen30jun at gmail.com>wrote:

> How can i convert this-

>  '0034hr'
>
> i searched in date module but i am not able to figure out what how to do
> this...

You can do this with slices.

if t = '13:34am'   then t[-2:] gives you 'am'

I'm not sure if your time will sometimes be like this: '03:34' or like this
'3:34'.  Assuming that the hours could be one or two digits makes slicing a
problem, but you can use split() like this:

pieces = t.split(":")

Here is what I played with:

>>> s = '12:34am'
>>> s[:-2]
'12:34'
>>> s[-2]
'a'
'am'
>>> s[:-2].split(':')
['12', '34']

So, you can get the pieces with those tools.  Test the value for first
value, and am/pm.  If am and 12 then change 12 to 0.  If pm and > 12, then
add 12 to the number.
Then put the pieces back together

--
Joel Goldstick