[Tutor] more trouble

Eric Schles ericschles at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:45:37 CEST 2011

So far, I have tried a few things.  Listed below was my original problem and
my original help.

Eric Schles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first time using this service so I am unsure what proper
> formatting should be.  In any case here is my question.
>
> I just downloaded EasyInstall here:
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
>
> In the example section under
> Downloading and Installing a
> Package<http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#id6>
> which is in the website listed, there is an example called example 1.
>
> I can't get it to work.  I was able to import easy_install into my python
> GUI.  But whenever I try using it I get the following message:
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

You are running Easy Install from inside Python, but using non-Python
syntax.

Normally you would run Easy Install from the shell. Under Linux, open
your favourite xterm, console or terminal window. You should have a $
prompt instead of the Python prompt >>>.

At the shell prompt, type:

easy_install SQLObject

and press the Enter key, and it should just work. (If you get
"Permission Denied" errors, you may need to use sudo or run the command
as the root user.)

Under Windows will be similar, using command.com or cmd.exe.

--
Steven

The help steven gave me makes sense, except I don't know what it means.  How
do you run the command as root?
When I try to run the command in the command line, I get the following
error:
C:\>easy_install SQLObject
'easy_install' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

What does that mean?

I also tried it in a python command prompt (just in case) and got
>>> import easy_install
>>> easy_install SQLObject
   File "<stdin>", line 1
     easy_install SQLObject
                                      ^
syntaxError: invalid syntax

I understand that a syntax error happens when you enter something
incorrectly.  So this is likely the error steven was talking about.

So, any more ideas?

I greatly appreciate the help.

Sincerely,

Eric