[Tutor] Setting Up Emacs

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Sun Oct 30 16:53:15 CET 2011

* Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> [111030 07:40]:
> Rinu Boney wrote:
> >I am New To Python.
> >I Would Like To Setup Emacs As A Python IDE.
> >I Don't Know Anything About Emacs!
>
> If you don't know anything about emacs, and you don't know anything
> about Python, why do you want to make things ten times more difficult by
> learning a new language AND the most heavyweight, complex editor at the
> same time?
>
> I recommend you use a more friendly editor. You haven't mentioned what
> operating system you are using. If you are using Linux with the KDE
> desktop, I recommend you use a good, modern GUI editor like Kate as your
> editor. Other people might prefer different editors, but I've come to
> like Kate the best.

  I've used emacs extensively in the past and now use vim.  They are
  both rewarding to use, but to support Steven, it could be a
  nightmare for Rinu to to learn both python and emacs or vim.

  I believe that idle is part of the python distro on both linux and
  darwin (Mac OSX). That is worth consideration, I would think.

  If Rinu is on windows, there is pythonwin and there is an
  extremely good, well supported and easy-to-learn shareware editor
  called Boxer. I would recommend either to any programmer in a
  windows environment.

> Personally, I recommend against IDEs. I find that they are
> over-complicated and get in the way. I've seen too many people
> struggling because their IDE changes the way their code works. I
> recommend you keep your code open in an editor, an interactive session
> open in a good xterm, and a second xterm tab open for running your
> script. That's my preference.

  Yeah. What he said.

--
Tim