[Tutor] how obsolete is 2.2?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Sep 8 07:36:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

please don't repost your question before waiting at least a little for an
answer.

c smith, 08.09.2011 05:26:
> I found a book at the local library that covers python but it's 2.2.

That's way old then. It won't teach you anything about the really
interesting and helpful things in Python, such as generators, itertools or
the "with" statement, extended APIs and stdlib modules, and loads of other
goodies and enhanced features, such as metaclasses and interpreter
configuration stuff.

> I already have been using 2.7 for basic stuff and would like to know if it's
> worth my time to read this book.

Likely not. Better read a recent tutorial or spend your time getting used
to the official Python documentation.

> Are there any glaring differences that would be easy to point out, or is it
> too convoluted?

Tons of them, too many to even get started. You might want to take a look
at the "what's new" pages in the Python documentation. That will give you a
pretty good idea of major advances.

> Also, am I correct in thinking that 3.0 will always be called 3.0

No. It's called Python 3 (sometimes historically named Python 3k or Python
3000), with released versions being 3.0, 3.1.x and 3.2.x and the upcoming
release being 3.3.

> but will change over time and will always include experimental features

Well, it's the place where all current development happens, be it
experimental or not.

> while 2.x will gradually increase the 'x'

Nope. 'x' is fixed at 7, Py2.7 is the officially last release series of
Python 2, although with an extended maintenance time frame of several years.

> and the highest 'x' will indicate the most current, stable release?

That's right, both for the Py2.x and Py3.x releases.

> oh, and a question on 'pickle':

Let's keep that in your other post, to let it serve a purpose.

Stefan