[Tutor] how obsolete is 2.2?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Sep 8 14:51:00 CEST 2011

c smith wrote:

> Also, am I correct in thinking that 3.0 will always be called 3.0 but will
> change over time and will always include experimental features, while 2.x
> will gradually increase the 'x' and the highest 'x' will indicate the most
> current, stable release?

No, I'm afraid you are wrong.

Python 2.7 is the last version in the 2.x series. It will continue to
get bug fixes and security updates for the next few years, but no new
features.

2.7 and 3.2 are the most up to date versions. As I said, 2.7 is the last
of the 2.x line. 3.x is the future of Python, although 2.7 will be
supported for quite some time. But all new features will be going into
3.x and 2.7 will only get bug fixes.

Python 3.0 is no longer supported: to be frank, it was released too
early, and it has too many bugs and is painfully slow. If you are using
3.0, you should update to 3.1 or 3.2, they are much, much better.

--
Steven