[Tutor] _init_() arguments

Stu Rocksan 132zed at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:10:59 CEST 2011

I have a very basic question that I am sure has a simple answer.  I
would be very appreciative of anyone that would set me straight.

Python 2.7.2

I am simply trying to pass arguments.  Based on the documentation that
I've read so far _init_() is called upon instance creation and the
arguments are those passed to the class constructor expression.  That
all makes sense to me but the problem is when I try to actually pass
the argument.  I get an TypeError that states "This constructor takes
no arguments."

Even using code direct from the tutorials included in the
documentation gives me the same error.  I doubt that there would be
bad code coming direct from the official website...right?  So the
problem must be me.

Example:

class Complex:
              def _init_(self, realpart, imagpart)
                    self.r = realpart
                    self.i = imagpart

x = Complex(3.0, -4.5)
x.r, x.i
# theoretical output
(3.0, -4.5)

This is taken direct from the tutorial included in the documentation
dated September 8, 2011.  If you try to run this you will get a
TypeError: this constructor takes no arguments.

It even says in the explanation before this code:
Of course, the __init__() method may have arguments for greater
flexibility. In that case, arguments given to the class instantiation
operator are passed on to __init__().

I've tried similar code from other beginner Python books and I get the
exact same result.

I am sure that I am missing something simple.  Thanks in advance