[Tutor] databases

Alejandro Companioni achompas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 00:28:34 CEST 2011

On Sep 10, 2011, at 6:15 PM, tutor-request at python.org wrote:

> You might look at http://www.sqlalchemy.org/, since it works with most
> databases. However if you are new on databases, I think you should start
> learning databases basics, choose a database management system (DBMS)
> that fit your needs and learn as much as you can about that specific
> DBMS. Then you can use SQLAlchemy or specific packagas (MySQL-Python,
> PyGreSQL,...) to acces to that DBMS. In addition if you are going to use
> frameworks, most of them already have their own tools for DB manipulation.

Just wanted to chime in, because I wish someone had told me this sooner, but if you're using a Mac, try to steer clear of mysql-python. Setting it up on a Mac is absolutely infuriating.

If your databases are MySQL-based and you're using a Mac, I'd recommend setting up a Linux VM to access them with Python (or not using Python at all). Good luck!

-Alejandro