[Tutor] Unusual pathfile

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue Sep 13 21:01:09 CEST 2011

From: tutor-bounces+ramit.prasad=jpmorgan.com at python.org [mailto:tutor-bounces+ramit.prasad=jpmorgan.com at python.org] On Behalf Of Marc Tompkins
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:38 PM
To: tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Unusual pathfile

Susana -

I think I speak for everyone when I say: don't go away!  Nobody's complaining about your question; that's what the list is for.

However, we're all human beings, and all doing this voluntarily.  So it's in your best interest to make your questions easy for us to read.  So many lines all run together, with only one space of indentation, makes my head hurt when I try to read it; I'm ashamed to admit that I simply skipped over your question when you first posted it.  Others put more effort into it, and have told you why it was hard for them.  Don't be offended!  At least they took the trouble, which is more than I did.

Two things you can do to make this better:

-  Set your text editor to convert tabs to spaces, preferably four spaces.  This is a Good Thing To Do anyway, because some of the hardest bugs to find - for you as well as for us - happen when Python gets confused about levels of indentation.  If you're not sure how to change that setting, just tell us which editor you use and someone can help with that.

-  When you ask a question - and we WANT you to ask questions! - try to narrow down your program to just the part that's giving you trouble.  It makes it MUCH easier for us to help you, and quite often it helps you to find the problem yourself.  As Steven said above, at the moment I can't even see which part of your code is generating "C:\/Python26", let alone help you to correct it.

Just remember: we all want to help; speaking for myself, I started out asking questions on this list and have stuck around to answer them.  But we're all human too - and speaking for myself, sometimes we're a little lazy.
Not to mention, all of us have different levels of understanding for languages. I understand English, but little else. :)

I think I can narrow down the problem section. (And this is my third try. As I was indenting, I saw that I could continue narrowing down the section).

def buscar():
    print 'Iniciando...'
    gdal.AllRegister()
    file_list = []
    folders = None
    for root, folders, files in os.walk(dir):
        ### Add print statement here ##
        file_list.extend(os.path.join(root,fi) for fi in files if fi.endswith(extn))

I am not very familiar with the os module, but I would suggesting adding a print/debug statement in the loop to print root, folders, files so that you can see if something incorrect is happening. This will also give you a much better "stack trace" to see the progress of your application.

Small sample of what I got:
<snip>
c:\tmp\m2\localrepo\saxpath ['saxpath'] []
c:\tmp\m2\localrepo\saxpath\saxpath ['1.0-FCS'] []
c:\tmp\m2\localrepo\saxpath\saxpath\1.0-FCS [] ['saxpath-1.0-FCS.jar', 'saxpath-1.0-FCS.jar.sha1', 'saxpath-1.0-FCS.pom', 'saxpath-1.0-FCS.pom.sha1', '_maven.repositories']
<snip>
This does not show the behavior you are suggesting. Is there somewhere else that you were referring to? Is it possible you are changing directory or something in the middle of the os.walk command and that is causing it to re-execute the walk?

(Python 2.6 / Win7)

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423