[Tutor] How it is better than java

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Mon Sep 19 15:53:53 CEST 2011

On 2011/09/19 03:27 PM, Ashish Gaonker wrote:
> My obvious thinking is : Java being compiled language , must be faster
> then a interpreted   language.
>
> I know couple of points : Development time is less + easy to learn +
> python is expressive.
>
> Can you share some more especially as compared to Java / .net (two
> primarily used languages in enterprise language & web based applications)
>
> --
> Thanks & Regards
> Ashish Gaonker

I would suggest reading `Python is not Java` [1] and `Java is not
Python, either` [2], old but good reads.  And then ask what is your
focus for development.  Better is extremely subjective and can be liable
to induce flame-wars, although this list is quite friendly.

To me, I started using Python as a glue language, controlling process
flows and the like, with still heavy uses of C and PL/SQL for what I
do.  Over time Python has taken center-stage for my projects due to
ease-of-use and rapid application development and only moving time
critical work that "needs" to be faster to C but in most cases that is
not needed for me anymore.

Add to that the great work on PyPy [3] which is extremely efficient, I
hardly ever have to write in another language if I don't wish.

[1] http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html
[2] http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/java-is-not-python-either.html
[3] http://pypy.org/
--