[Tutor] How it is better than java

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:13:16 CEST 2011

Hi Ashish,

On 19 September 2011 14:27, Ashish Gaonker <ashish.gec at gmail.com> wrote:

> My obvious thinking is : Java being compiled language , must be faster then
> a interpreted   language.
>
> I know couple of points : Development time is less + easy to learn + python
> is expressive.
>
> Can you share some more especially as compared to Java / .net (two
> primarily used languages in enterprise language & web based applications)

There's many pages on the internet comparing Python, Java and other
languages.  I suggest you check them out.

Having said that, I'll point out that Python has several implementations,
including one called "Jython", which actually targets the Java runtime and
so should have comparable performance to Java on the same runtime.
Additionally there's projects like PyPy which in some cases is faster even
than C/C++.

This page (from my bookmarks) has some interesting points of comparison for
consideration:
http://pythonconquerstheuniverse.wordpress.com/category/java-and-python/

Walter