[Tutor] Mac IDE

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:50:51 CEST 2011

Hi

On 29 September 2011 10:42, Robert Johansson
<robert.johansson at math.umu.se>wrote:

> Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> I know that there is a lot to read about different IDEs on the net but I
> have tried a couple and I’m still not pleased. My demands are not that high,
> when I’m under Windows I’m happy with IDLE (an interactive shell and debug)
> but the problem is with Mac (Python >= 2.7 and OS 10.7). IDLE had serious
> problems and TextWrangler had no interactive shell. There’s a lot of other
> stuff to try and I would be grateful if someone could spare me some time on
> this. ****

Well, if you're prepared to spend a bit of money, I've heard very good
things about Wingware, which is also available on Mac  (Note, not a user
myself currently, but has seen it before and been favourably impressed,
enough to suggest it here despite not currently actively using it myself.)
Link: http://wingware.com/

In terms of free/open source, there's also of course Eclipse with PyDev,
although I don't know how easily/well it integrates into the Mac ecosystem,
but suffice it to say Mac is listed as a supported platform.  I use Eclipse
with PyDev on Linux and Windows and am quite happy with it.  Links:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-classic-37/indigor
http://pydev.org/index.html

HTH

Walter