[Tutor] Mac IDE

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 29 19:21:55 CEST 2011

On 29/09/11 12:50, Wayne Werner wrote:

> Two terminal windows - one with Vim, editing my Python scripts, and
> another with an interactive interpreter....
>
> Of course these capabilities (and many many more) are available with Emacs.
>
> I personally recommend that you learn one (or both) of these editors.
> They will highly improve the speed at which you are able to edit your code.

Unfortunately vim isn't available by default on MAcOS - at least not the
last time I looked. They had elvis installed as a "vi".

But Emacs is there in console mode, I think you need to install X to get
it in GUI mode - in which case you might as well install Emacs for Aqua...

But I haven't used the most recent OS X releases (post Tiger)
(I'm still on a G3 iBook!) so the tool selection may have changed.

Netbeans is another option that works on a Mac. There is
a plugin for Python. From memory this includes an interpreter
window.

Finally, I can also add that the native MacOS developer tools,
including XCode work with Python, but it doesn't include an
integrated interpreter. You need to install/configure XCode
to work with Python, visit the Mac Python pages for details.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site