[Tutor] adding a windows registry value

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:32:49 CEST 2012

On 3 August 2012 19:35, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> The list doesn't care, you probably did it by hitting Reply
> instead of Reply All.
>
> Reply replies to the person who posted. Reply All replies to all
> on the list. Just like regular email.

> That's just how its set up, to mimic normal email.

Well normally I expect emails from a list (being the direct sender),
to go back to the sender, e.g. the list, and emails directly from a
person to go back to that person.  (Differently put, I expect *any*
email to by default go back to the sender, in general, unless I
specify otherwise.  So if a mailing list sends me an email, my default
expectation is that the mail goes back to the list, unless I specify
otherwise.  This seems perfectly intuitive to me, but hey ho what the
hey.  :)  )

> It's not the only list set up that way, most of the ones I use do it like
> that. You get used to it :-)

Yes... most of the ones *I* use don't.  Snap.  Darn.  :)   (More
seriously,  I must admit this "feature" remains an nuisance in my book
as well.  I might add that regardless of current setup, historical
precedents or whatever other rationalization one might cite, it
nevertheless seems a less than ideal setup choice for this list given
that the default behaviour caters for the minority use-case;  The
majority of the time most people will want their replies to posts on
the list to go back to the list, and not back to the individual who
posted to the list, since the whole point of the list is to encourage
collective discussion.  Taking tutor problems off list is generally
counter productive both for the people being helped and others who may
benefit from the conversation.  Therefore the default setup should
IMHO be that replies go back to the list, not to the OP.)

Anyway, I'll go back to leaving this issue alone again now.  Have a
good weekend everyone :)

Walter