[Tutor] 2.7.3 Popen argument issues

Ray Jones crawlzone at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 23:38:34 CEST 2012

On 08/27/2012 05:45 AM, eryksun wrote:
> Most programs expect their arguments to have been tokenized as the
> shell would as a matter of convention. So, for example, if vlc gets
> "-I" in argv[1] it expects that argv[2] will be a value such as
> "dummy". A value of "-I dummy" in argv[1] in principle shouldn't work.
> In practice vlc seems pretty flexible and accepts it both ways.
Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, my call to vlc now works. Thanks for breaking up the parts
of the argument into variables - it helped me understand greatly both
what was happening on the command line and how to make code more readable.

What worked was to remove the extra quotes from around the argument
parts and placing them around the %s formatting inside 'sout'. I'm not
certain why that made a difference....

(BTW, I had gotten the dst_file portion to work, but the dst_http kept
failing. I finally used the debug switch vlc and 'less' to compare the
outputs of the working Bash call and the non-working Python
call.....well, it did finally jump out at me that the working call
contained a 'mpjpeg' mux while the non-working call was misnamed a
'mjpeg' mux. <sigh>)

Thanks for your help - I have a greater understanding of what's going
on. When I'm 80, I might be able to claim guruship like you! ;)

Ray