[Tutor] Recursion always returns None

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 28 23:14:21 CEST 2012

On 28/08/12 17:34, Steve Willoughby wrote:

>> For some reason some beginners seem to find recursion a natural pattern.
>
> There is a certain "hey, you can do that? That's cool!" factor when you
> first discover recursion.

My point was that it seems to be a natural idea for many beginners, they
discover it without being told. They just assume it will work.
It comes up time and time again on this list from people who have
never heard of it but are using it.

Whereas others who need to be explicitly taught about it find it totally
bizarre and mind bending. I've come to the conclusion that its a
right-brain, left-brain type of thing. For some it just seems logical,
for others perverse!

Presumably John McCarthy was one of those who found it natural! :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site