[Tutor] Installing modules with easy_install

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Tue Aug 28 23:42:03 CEST 2012

On 8/28/2012 1:48 PM Ray Jones said...
> On 08/28/2012 01:35 PM, Emile van Sebille wrote:

>> You installed this with easy_install, so the version of python therein
>> referenced is the same one that now should have access to it.
>>
>> Try :  which easy_install
>>
>> then cat the result.  The first line points to the executable python
>> that installed pytz.  On my local system this looks like:
>>

>> head -1 `which easy_install`
>> #! /usr/bin/python
>>
>> copy and paste in the result, then import pytz from there and paste in
>> the results if it doesn't work.
> #! /usr/bin/python
>
> I think you come late to the party, but jump in - there's lots of room!
>
> We have solved the pytz problem by quarantining the pytz*.egg and
> installing python-tz from the Debian system. But while pytz now works,
> it does not address the problem of easy-install-ed modules not being
> recognized by python (btw, in perusing the
> /usr/local/bin/.../dist-packages I also found a shodan module (whatever
> that is) that python does not recognize - and I don't find shodan in the
> Debian packages).

My point was that easy_install isn't broken.

Emile

root at paj39:/home/emile/web# /usr/bin/easy_install pytz
Searching for pytz
Best match: pytz 2009l
Adding pytz 2009l to easy-install.pth file

Using /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
Processing dependencies for pytz
Finished processing dependencies for pytz
root at paj39:/home/emile/web# /usr/bin/python
Python 2.6.4rc2 (r264rc2:75497, Oct 20 2009, 02:55:11)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2