[Tutor] Your thoughts on using Python 2.4.x?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 03:00:55 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> Yes; using Python 2.4 is painful compared to Python 3.x because it is
> missing so many cool and useful features. 2.4 is quite old now, and
> there have been many, many bug-fixes and new features added since then.
>
> Some of those missing features can be easily added into your own code.
> Because I have to support 2.4, I have a compatibility module to backport
> the more essential features.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/my-startup-file/source/browse/backports.py

Thanks! I will look into your code in more depth once I get deeper
than I currently am in Python. More importantly you've given me a
useful approach that I can use for many things (potentially). This
type of approach had not yet occurred to me.

>> BTW, does 2.4.x come with Tkinter standard?
>

> Depends on what you mean by standard. Tkinter is part of the standard
> library, but it requires external dependencies which may not be present.
> If your Solaris system doesn't include tcl ("tickle") then you won't have
> Tkinter either.
>
> At the Solaris prompt, enter "tclsh". You should get a % prompt, which you
> can quit by entering "exit" command. If you don't, then you do not have
> tcl installed and won't have Tkinter either.

Thanks for pointing this out and how to check for tcl being installed.
I will have to check for this after the holidays.

boB