[Tutor] Cmd Advice

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Sat Feb 11 12:35:07 CET 2012

(Please don't top-post.  Please put your comments after whatever parts
you're quoting (replying to) )

On 02/11/2012 05:06 AM, Dave Hanson wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> I can't thank you enough for taking the time to explain all of this in such
> level of detail. :) also apologies for taking so long to respond, I have to
> do this on my work machine and we are so busy at the minute I just haven't
> the time to do anything - I will not be deterred though!
>
> I followed your instructions and now have no errors, but all that seems to
> happen is either the dos window or python window (not sure which - it's
> black and only appears for a millisecond) pops up and then.... nothing. I
> maybe incorrectly assumed that I would have a terminal like window with a
> blinking cursor and that would accept my commands to the "t" program?
>
> Thanks again for all your help.

You need to learn how to create a DOS window (or cmd window, just
another name for same thing) in Windows.  One way is to use the RUN
prompt in the Start menu, and run the program  CMD.  Another is to go to
the Start Menu->Accessories->DOS box.  it's been a long time since I ran
Windows, so it may have some different name, but it should be in your
accessories somewhere.  Since I use such a shell constantly, I created a
shortcut key to open one.

Once you do that, you should see a "box" with a C: prompt.  It is indeed
black, but you can customize it in many ways.  From there you can type
all the commands that Walter was telling you about.  And it normally
won't go away when a program finishes running, so you don't have the
"black and appears for a millisecond" syndrome.

Windows will create one of these if you run console things from the GUI,
but it also destroys them as soon as the program ends.

--

DaveA