[Tutor] specific recommendation for a Python book, to move from baby-level to intermediate-level

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:46:48 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:35 AM, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will have to agree with both Wes and Alan, they provide great
> resources. However, the issue you will face is three-fold. You need
> to:
>
> 1. Write lots of good code.
> 2. Write lots more good code.
> 3. Show a whole lot of good code you've written.
>
> If you want to program professionally I suggest getting a job in
> computers that is near where you want to be. Develop your programming
> skills and your work reputation at the same time. Your porfolio of
> lots of good code will require more than one language, software
> lifecycle and version control, specification writing,
> etc...etc...etc...
>
> To write good code you need books, experience, and lots of critical
> review. Otherwise you'll be writing lots of bad code that won't get
> you anywhere. Feedback is critical to growth.
>
> Leam
>
> --
> Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>

Programming is all about doing it -- over and over.  I think Malcolm
Gladwell proposed that it takes 10,000 hours to get good at anything.
Its great to be smitten, but there is no shortcut.

Aside from Brooks, I really loved reading a two volume set called
Programming Practice by Henry Ledgard.  It was published in 1987, but
its timeless.

These authors don't write 'how to' books on coding, but they get to
the core of the software engineering profession.

--
Joel Goldstick