[Tutor] Recognizing real numbers

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 22:35:44 CET 2012

On 2/21/2012 10:00 PM, Michael Lewis wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have some code where I import a file to use a module. That module
> that I import
> takes text and a multiplier, checks for any numbers in that text and
> will then multiply those numbers by the given multiplier. The imported
> module is below. I am getting the text from a file that I have which
> starts out as:
>
> .5 lb. butter
> 1.75 Cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
> 2.0 Cups Powder Sugar
> 1.0 Cups Peanut Butter
> 2.0 Cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
>
> It seems that the .isdigit() function that I use doesn't recognize the
> .5 as a number and therefore doesn't multiply it. How can I get my
> code to recognize numbers such as .5, 1.75 as numbers?

Wow - the requirements just changed. Up tilll now we were dealing with
multiplying each digit. Now we have to parse out a string that
represents a number with decimal places! I hope that we don't raise the
oven temperature in the process.

Is it true that the number to multiply is always at the beginning of a
line? If so that makes the job a lot easier.

Bob Gailer
919-636-4239
Chapel Hill NC