[Tutor] I cannot "run" any Python programs

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 00:25:44 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Tamar Osher <emeraldoffice at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Joel: Hi!  Thanks for helping.  I typed cmd, and got the same black
> box, this time labeled C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe instead of "Command
> Prompt".  When I type python myprogram.py, this is what appears on the
> screen:
> 'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program, or batch file.
>
> Can you help me?  I hope so!
>

> From Your Friend: Tamar Osher
> Email: EmeraldOffice at hotmail.com
>

>> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:02:23 -0500
>
>> Subject: Re: [Tutor] I cannot "run" any Python programs
>> From: joel.goldstick at gmail.com
>> To: emeraldoffice at hotmail.com
>> CC: tutor at python.org
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Tamar Osher <emeraldoffice at hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Dear Joel: HI!  Thanks for helping.  When I use the Python shell, and
>> > navigate to the saved Python program, what happens is:
>> > A second Python shell pops up, displaying the coding of the program
>> > (which
>> > is a tiny 'hello world' program).  This is what is displayed in the
>> > second
>> > Python shell:
>> >
>> > In the first Python shell, when I type in what you requested, this is
>> > what
>> > happens:
>> > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>> > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>> >>>>

>> > I am not able to use the Python shell to find the saved Python program.
>> > am able to use Notepad++ to locate the saved Python program, but I
>> > cannot
>> > run the program.  I cannot do anything with the command prompt (black
>> > box).
>> >
>> > I request help to figure out how to run Python programs. Thanks for
>> > helping
>> > me!
>> >

>> from the >>>> stuff at the start of each line, you are in a python
>> shell. Don't do that. Just get into a command shell.
>> Since I believe you are in windows, press the start button, then run
>> command and the command you run should be cmd
>>
>> This will bring you to a window which looks a lot like DOS used to
>> look. You probably are too young for that. Anyway, at that point,
>> try typing python myprogram.py
>>

>> --
>> Joel Goldstick

Don't top post.  Put your comments at the bottom of the message or
intersperse where appropriate.  I'm not a windows guy anymore.
Someone who is can help you figure out how to find out where python is
and put it on your path.

In the mean time, google "microsoft python setting up path" and you
may be on your way!

--
Joel Goldstick