[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python developers?

Jugurtha Hadjar jugurtha.hadjar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:23:07 CET 2012

On 23/02/2012 02:00, Tamar Osher wrote:
> Hi.  I am still having trouble installing and using Python on my (new) Windows 7 computer, but I plan to contact Microsoft forums and see if they can help me, since this is a Windows problem and not a Python problem.
>
> My question: For the future, what type of computer is best for Python developers?  Do all Python developers use some type of Unix computer?
> I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks for your time.

That's actually a good question.

I am in Instrumentation Engineering (Electronics), and a lot of the
software is designed  to run only in Windows, or, the equivalent
software in Linux is more for hobbyists than for professionnals (Think
software for printed circuit boards), or, in the best case there are
versions that run on Linux, but they aren't as featured or updated as
the one that run on Windows.

So I work on Windows. I have both Python26 and Python32 installed
(Python26 for things like Numpy/SciPy).

I also installed VirtualBox and run Ubuntu 11.10. It's nice because most
of the software I use is on Windows, but I fire up the virtual machine
sometimes for programming stuff.

So it depends what you do and the software you use.

One last point: Having two versions of Python, here's what I did in
order to chose which version is used depending what I'm doing (If I'm
tinkering with Numpy, I must use Python26)

Python 2.6 is installed in C:\Python26
Python 3.2 is installed in C:\Python32

I added both paths to the Windows Environment Variables.

I created two .bat files named Python26.bat and Python32.bat, each one
in the respective directory.

The Python26.bat file contains the follwoing lines:

@echo off
C:\Python26\python.exe %1

And the Python32.bat file contains the follwoing lines:

@echo off
C:\Python32\python.exe %1

So, if I write "python26 test.py" in the command line, the script gets
"executed" by Python 2.6.
In the same way, if I write "python32 test.py", it gets executed by
Python 3.2..

Just a little thing to make my life easier.

PS: If you have any question regarding the setting of the Virtual Box to
run Ubuntu as a guest on Windows, feel free to ask for details. I'll be
glad to provide links and things like that.

--
~Jugurtha Hadjar,