[Tutor] problem editing modules and defs

David Craig dcdavemail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:11:20 CET 2012

Hi,
I am new to python and have made a couple of definitions. I imported
them and they worked ok. I they worked except for one which gave me the
error "NameError: global name 'np' is not defined". I then edited my
script for the def to include "import numpy as np" saved it and imported
the def again. However, it still gives me the same error. I know I have
to be doing something basic wrong but cant figure it out, anyone know
what I am doing wrong. The def is below.
thanks

import numpy as np

def find_nearest(array,value):
     idx=(np.abs(array-value)).argmin()