[Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 27 17:50:11 CET 2012

On 27/02/12 15:22, John Jensen wrote:

> I'm new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux.

Linux is an IDE :-)

But, smiley's aside it's true. You can use basic tools like
vim, emacs and terminal windows etc. To cut n paste between
them is trivial (Much more so than in Windows or MacOS).

Tools like diff, grep and ctags enable cross file navigation between
functions etc and are fully integrated with the common editors.

Unix was built for software development by software
developers. There is little that a modern IDE can do that Unix
tools can't do almost as easily (tooltips is about the only
thing I'm aware of!) And there's lots that Unix can do that
most IDEs struggle with.

> I'd appreciate any feedback on this and good tutorials or books on
> Python 3 and the IDEs suggested. There are many available and I'm
> wondering what you as users find effective.

But if you must have an IDE the usual suspects are available:
Netbeans, Eclipse, Wing, SPE, and many others...

...and of course IDLE which comes with Python.

Personally I go with vim, and 2 terminal windows. One running
a prompt and one to execute the program for testing.--

Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/