[Tutor] Parse multi line with re module.

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:21:48 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Ganesh Kumar <bugcy013 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I want parse multiple line. with re.module, this is my given string
> http://dpaste.com/680760/ I have try with re.compile module. I want parse
> two line mac address and channel,
> I have done with for mac address finding
>
> r = re.compile("^Searching for OPUSH on (\w\w(:\w\w)+)")
>
> for channel finding
>
> device_r = re.compile("^Channel: (\d+)")
>
> the two parsing string working. but I want combine two pattern in to one.
>
> This is my code
> http://www.bpaste.net/show/21323/
>
> please guide me .
>

> -Ganesh

Do you know about str.startswith()
http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#str.startswith

Since your data is so well defined I think it would be simpler to just
read each line, strip whitespace, use startswith() to check for
"Searching for OPUSH on" and "Channel:"

You can slice to pull out the mac address and the channel number like so:

>>> s = "Searching for OPUSH on 00:1D:FD:06:99:99"
'00:1D:FD:06:99:99'   # this will work if no other text follows the mac address
>>> s[23:41]
'00:1D:FD:06:99:99' # this will work to just capture the mac address

For the Channel number, after stripping whitespace, take the slice from s[9:]

Searching for OPUSH on 00:1D:FD:06:99:99 ...
    Channel: 9

Joel Goldstick