[Tutor] Question about install.py

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:04:26 CET 2012

  Hi,

> I'm new to Python and was wondering if someone could answer a question I have.
> Say that I have a python library, arithmetic-0.5, located at /X/arithmetic-0.5
> I'd like to run setup and install it. But I guess since /X/arithmetic-0.5 is not in install.py's default search path, it comes back with an error saying that it cannot find the necessary files.
> Can you please tell me how I can change the search path of install.py? What parameter do I need to modify?

I don't know about install.py. Perhaps you can give a pointer to that (eg, a webpage)?

As far as I my knowledge goes, you install libraries (modules) using setup.py.
In that case, a command like
$> python setup.py install
should do it. That assumes you're working from the command line.
Python will automatically install the library in a place where it can find it.
See also http://docs.python.org/install/index.html
It can be easier to use a binary installer though, especially if you're not used to working on command lines.

If you're just trying to install a Python library, it can help if you mention which library you want to install, what you are using for the installation (source code, or installer), which python version and on which OS you are working.
Also, you mention an error, but don't specify it. Python usually comes with a whole backtrace, which you can copy-paste into your email.

Cheers,

  Evert