[Tutor] how to read and write to a file

Alexander rhettnaxel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:14:09 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM, ken brockman <krush1954 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ________________________________

Ken, pickling is used when one wants to send information through a
network or communicate with a database. Somebody else here knows more
about pickling than I do. As for your list problem... I'm not exactly
certain what you're trying to do. But I'm going with the idea that you
have two files of information, one contains strings you like, and the
other contains strings you dislike. And you want to read and write
this information using Python.

>>> like = [ 'orange', 'blue', 'red' ] #things I like
>>> dislike = [ 'apples', 'bronze', 'bananas' ] #things I dislike
>>> fh = open ( 'likes.txt', 'w' ) #let's open a file stream to write

# fh is my shorthand for "file handle"
#writing a list to a file stream:

>>> for index in range( len( like )):
fh.write( like[ index ] )
fh.write ( '\n' ) #here i add a new line, maybe somebody else
#knows a better way to avoid this?

>>> fh.close()

#now let's read that information into a list
>>> fr = open ( 'info.txt' ) #I'm using python 3.2
>>> mylistoflikes = fr.readlines()
>>> mylistoflikes
[ 'orange\n' , 'blue\n' , 'red\n' ]
>>> fr.close()