[Tutor] Define Build Deployment

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Wed Jul 11 18:00:08 CEST 2012

> I'm fairly new to software development in an enterprise environment I'm
> constantly hearing the term "build deployment" and do no want to ask what it
> means since it seems simple. I cannot find a definition online.

Not really a Python question.

A "build" is when you compile (and optionally running any unit testing /
code analysis) or package a specific version. It is used to describe both
the action of compiling and also to the resulting compiled code, which
may be a little confusing. Technically, I guess "building" is the compiling
process while a "build" is the result.

Deployment is when you put a "build" (packaged code) into a certain
environment. This can also be called "build deployment" because you
are "deploying" a "build".

Ramit