[Tutor] starting to learn

Jugurtha Hadjar jugurtha.hadjar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:18:56 CEST 2012

On 07/12/2012 12:46 AM, blindmaildrop wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am just starting to learn python, having signed up for a class on it in
> University.  The last time I programmed anything was in the long long long
> ago of BASIC and (well since I spent time doing other things) I missed the
> development boat.
>
> So starting from scratch, how-to?
>
> thanks

Hello,

There are different types of people, each with their own learning style.

Personally, I found it hard to read books, because most of them write 40
pages before getting to the point. Then another 40 pages before getting
to the other point. If you programmed anything before, then you probably
need to type code and get familiar with the syntax on a superficial
level first (like copying examples given in the Index when programming
BASIC).

There is a book, available for free which might help you do that:
Directly to the point. Typing code and a lot of it. It's by Zed Shaw,
and it's called "Learn Python The Hard Way". (If you're anything like
me, you probably will like the title and like the book).

http://learnpythonthehardway.org

This book aims to "get you going", beating inertia. Then you can really
start to "learn" Python. Read more code, read other books, etc..

--
~Jugurtha Hadjar,