[Tutor] string to binary and back... Python 3

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Thu Jul 19 23:55:14 CEST 2012

> I am not sure how to answer that question because all files are binary,
> but the files that I will parse have an encoding that allows them to be
> read in a non-binary output. But my program will not use the in a
> non-binary way, that is why I plan to open them with the 'b' mode to
> open them as binary with no encoding assumed by python. I just not have
> tested this new technique that you gave me on a binary file yet as I was
> still implementing it for strings.

As far as I know, even in binary mode, python will convert the
binary data to read and write strings. So there is no reason
this technique would not work for binary. Note, I was able to use
the string representation of a PDF file to write another PDF file.
So you do not need to worry about the conversion of binary to strings.
All you need to do is convert the string to int, encrypt, decrypt,
convert back to string, and write out again.

Note Python3 being Unicode might change things a bit. Not sure if
you will need to convert to bytes or some_string.decode('ascii').

Now if you end up needing to handle non-ASCII data, then this exercise
gets more complicated. Not sure if a simple way to convert all characters
to a numerical point, but it should still be possible. If your data
is binary, then I do not think you will run into any issues.

Ramit