[Tutor] Notepad++ question

Alexander Quest redacted@example.com
Fri Jun 15 00:18:56 CEST 2012

[Resending because I messed up on last email]

My question was regarding a piece of boilerplate code:

if __name__ == '__main__':
  main()

This calls the main function, but I don't understand what the 'if'
statement is doing here. In the simple programs that I've seen this so far,
there is no variable called "_name_", and even if there was, why is it
comparing it to "_main_"? Why can't the main function just be called by
typing main()- why do we need this if statement to precede it? Thanks.

-Alex