[Tutor] List Methods, String Slices and For loops

Developer Ecofunds ecofunds.developer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:33:44 CEST 2012

Hello guys,

I'd like to ask you a little question about a script I did and isn't
working properly.
It is one excercise from googles python classes <
http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/set-up.html>

I'm using python 2.5 because it's the one works with Google App Engine <
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/gettingstarted/>

This is the problem:

##########################3

# B. front_x
# Given a list of strings, return a list with the strings
# in sorted order, except group all the strings that begin with 'x' first.
# e.g. ['mix', 'xyz', 'apple', 'xanadu', 'aardvark'] yields
# ['xanadu', 'xyz', 'aardvark', 'apple', 'mix']
# Hint: this can be done by making 2 lists and sorting each of them
# before combining them.

# This is the code I did -- Romulo.

def front_x(words):
  x_list = []
  for string in words:
    if string[0]=='x':
      x_list.append(string)
      words.remove(string)
  sorted(words)
  sorted(x_list)
  x_list.extend(words)
  return x_list

##############################

The problem with this code is that it only gets the first word beginning
with x and the others remaisn on the original list, sorted at the end. I've
tested on terminal many parts of the code and it whas fine, but when I run
it complete, it does not work.

Following is the solution of the problem. I can understand it, I just can't
understand why my code does not work.

#############################
def front_x(words):
  x_list = []
  other_list = []
  for w in words:
    if w.startswith('x'):
      x_list.append(w)
    else:
      other_list.append(w)
  return sorted(x_list) + sorted(other_list)

To download all the exercises, access:
http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/google-python-exercises.zip

Thank y'all.