[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 100, Issue 58

Mike Nickey mnickey at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 00:12:46 CEST 2012

>> The problem with this code is that it only gets the first word beginning
>> with x and the others remaisn on the original list, sorted at the end. I've
>> tested on terminal many parts of the code and it whas fine, but when I run
>> it complete, it does not work.
>>
>> Following is the solution of the problem. I can understand it, I just
>> can't understand why my code does not work.
>>
>> #############################
>> def front_x(words):
>>   x_list = []
>>   other_list = []
>>   for w in words:
>>     if w.startswith('x'):
>>       x_list.append(w)
>>     else:
>>       other_list.append(w)
>>   return sorted(x_list) + sorted(other_list)

I did the same exercise so maybe I can assist here. From what I see, the line...
if w.startswith('x'): seems to be ineffective.
Try using the operator that checks for equality such as
if w[0] == 'x':
This will check the first of each word for 'x' and move it to the proper list.
You should be able to figure it out from here.

Good luck!