[Tutor] Python and boot sequences

Dave Wilder D.Wilder at F5.com
Thu Jun 28 14:54:22 CEST 2012

Hello,

This is a general Python question, so I don't require specific answers on how to do it, but...

Can a Python script be written that has the ability to stop a Linux device in the middle of a boot when a certain sequence occurs and then perform an action?

For example, when I boot my switch (w/ Linux OS 2.7.3), I want to stop the boot when I see a series of asterisks.  When I see this, I need to hit the <ESC><SHIFT><9>
sequence.  Then, I need to select a menu option (e.g. 1 to run a test or Q to quit and continue w/ the boot).  Another example would be when doing a PXE boot,
selecting the image to load when prompted during the reboot.

I don't know enough about Python yet to know if that is something that Python can be used for or I am barking up the wrong tree.

Thank You,

Dave