[Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 1 13:03:05 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 07:22:20AM -0800, John Jensen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux.
> I'd appreciate any feedback on this and good tutorials or books on
> Python 3 and the IDEs suggested. There are many available and I'm
> wondering what you as users find effective.

Personally, I find that Linux and the standard tool chain it provides is
an IDE, no need for a dedicated IDE application.

http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/series/unix-as-ide/

My IDE of choice is KDE's "kate" text editor, plus a terminal app that
supports multiple tabs. I run at least one Python interactive
interpreter in one tab, for testing code snippets, calling interactive
help, etc., and other tabs for controlling my source repository
(mercurial), running scripts, etc.

Oh, and a browser for searching the web. I prefer DDG:

http://duckduckgo.com/

which has dedicated Python support.

--
Steven