[Tutor] Question about writing to Excel with slavic characters

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Mon Mar 5 14:24:52 CET 2012

On 2012/03/05 03:05 PM, Marko Limbek wrote:
> Thank you!
>
> That was easy. Now I have another problem.
> I use RPy and read the spss database with method read.spss inside a
> nested R code in Python, that looks like that:
>

> import rpy
>
> r("""
>
> library(foreign)
>
> baza<- read.spss(""" + analysis[0] + """)
>
> print(baza$demo_izob0)
>
> """)
>
> Now when my text data labels in spss have slavic characters, they are
> not recognised and output is something like that:
>
> stiriletna srednja �ola
> nedokon�ana osnovna �ola
>

> What should I do here?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>

> Marko
>

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Christian Witts<cwitts at compuscan.co.za>  wrote:
>> On 2012/03/05 02:37 PM, Marko Limbek wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone.
>>

>> I am new to list and few months old to Python. I am writing some text
>> to Excel and I open the new book and try to write to the book and the
>> save it using
>>
>> book.save
>>
>> Now when I write slavic characters in the text to Excel (č, š, ž, for
>> instance 0xc5), I get an error, I can't save it.
>> I have declared appropriate encoding
>>
>> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>> # coding=<utf-8>
>> #!/E:/Python
>>
>> and those characters appear normally in the code, but there seems to
>> be the problem with the function book.save.
>> Does anyone have any ideas, what would be the problem and how to solve
>> it? Some additional encoding or some changes or parameters to the
>> book.save method?
>>
>> Is that the right forum for my question?
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Marko
>>
>> What package are you using to create your Excel workbook ?
>> If it's xlwt you can set your encoding type when you create your workbook
>> book = xlwt.Workbook(encoding="utf-8")
>> --
>>
>> Christian Witts
>> Python Developer

Hi, you should avoid top-posting as it makes it hard to follow the
thread if people have to bounce between the top and bottom of the post.

As for the answer to your question, I would suggest the R Mailing List
if they have any issues with Unicode or need any encodings set when
There was a bug with Unicode support & RPy <2.2 but that was fixed last
year so if you have a recent version of RPy that shouldn't be the issue.

--

Christian Witts
Python Developer