[Tutor] Python using RXVT vs Konsole?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Mar 9 03:58:27 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:07:46PM -0500, brandon w wrote:
> I have noticed the difference in terminals when using the Python
> interpreter.
> I am able to up-arrow to get the last typed command using rxvt but when I
> use konsole and I press the up-arrow I get the symbols: ^[[A
> Why is that? Is this the right place to ask this question? I want to be
> able to
> use the up-arrow in all terminals so I don't have to type as much.

Assuming you are using the same Python executable in both terminals,
then it isn't a problem with Python, but with the settings for Konsole.
Which surprises me, since I've used Konsole and it just works fine.
(Although if you're using KDE 4, nothing would surprise me...)

Try this, in both terminals:

Start the Python interactive interpreter
Enter import readline

If they both succeed, then the problem is that Konsole is (somehow!) not
using readline when it should be. You may need to ask for help in a KDE
forum.

If you are using two different Python executables, then possibly one of
them is not built using the readline library, in which case you should
install the GNU readline utils package on that machine and re-build
Python.

If none of these things help, you may need to ask the question on the
main Python list, python-list at python.org or comp.lang.python.

--
Steven