[Tutor] Unable to open .py files directly

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 21 19:42:49 CET 2012

On 21/03/12 13:00, Surya K wrote:
> "open" is ambiguous. What do you want to happen? Edit or execute?
>
> I was "double clicking".. and I want to open IDLE.

That's not usually the behavior you want for .py files.
Once you gain experience you will likely have a lot of programs written
in python, all will be in files ending .py. So you will probably want a
double click to run those programs. (You should really only use IDLE
to write and debug your programs not for running them)

So it's usually better to add an edit option to your context menu (right
click) to edit in IDLE. The ActiveState installer sets that up for you
the official python windows installer doesn't - or didn't
last time I used it - over a year ago now.

Bob has shown you what his settings look like and how to set it
up if you don't already have that option. Just create a new menu
entry rather than modifying the Open entry.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site