[Tutor] question about listing variables defined since session started

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue May 1 01:43:32 CEST 2012

On 30/04/12 22:25, Comer Duncan wrote:

> I have a newbie type question.  Say I have started a python (or
> ipython) session and have done some imports and have also defined some
> new variables since the session started.  So, I have in my current
> namespace a bunch of things. Suppose I  want to list just those
> variable  names which have been defined since the session started

You could save the initial startup state then later do a delta.
Saving startup state only needs doing once since it should be
the same each time - unless you define local startup commands - in
whioch case you will need to regenerate the startup state..

> not include the names of the objects that who and whos will return.

What are who and whos?
They are not defined in my version of Python...

> How to do that?  In matlab, this is what the who returns,

No idea what Matlab does, sorry.

> python I seem to always get a raft of things since I typically do
> import a bunch of things.

So I'm guessing you don't want any of the imported stuff?
What if you define a variable in an imported module?
Should that be listed or not?

But basically I think you want locals() - startup()
[where you define startup as described above]

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site