[Tutor] binding a button to an entry

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue May 1 17:52:04 CEST 2012

> Hi all,
> Please can anyone tell me how i bind the activation of a button with input
> from an entry widget. i know i should be using classes etc. but i don't
> understand them fully yet.. problem here is that no matter what i enter in
> the entry window it displays as password incorrect.
>
> from Tkinter import *
>
> password="trial"
>
> def reveal():
>     """Display message based on password"""
>     contents=s
>     if contents=="trial":
>         print "password correct"
>     else:
>         print "password wrong"
>
> #main
> root=Tk()
> root.title("Password entry box")
> root.geometry("300x100")
> app=Frame(root)
> app.grid()
>
> #labels
> lbl=Label(app, text="Enter your password: ")
> lbl.grid(row=1, column=0)
>
> #create entry widgets
> e = Entry(root)
> e.grid(row=1, column=1)
> s=e.get()
>
> #create a submit button
> b=Button(root, text="SUBMIT", command=reveal)
> b.grid(row=0, column=2)
>

> root.mainloop()

That is because the value of s never changes once it gets assigned.

Change the following in reveal()
contents=s
to :
contents=e.get()

You may want to read Alan Gauld's tutorial (he is contributor to this
list). It covers classes and basic GUI programming.
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/tutor/index.htm

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423