[Tutor] Script to search in string of values from file A in file B

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Wed May 9 21:40:44 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Afonso Duarte <aduarte at itqb.unl.pt> wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I’m new to Python and started to use it to search text strings in big
> (>500Mb) txt files.
>
> I have a list on text file (e.g. A.txt) that I want to use as a key to
> search another file (e.g. B.txt), organized in the following way:
>

> A.txt:
>

> Aaa
>
> Bbb
>
> Ccc
>
> Ddd
>
> .
>
> .
>
> .
>

> B.txt
>

> Bbb
>
> 1234
>
> Xxx
>
> 234
>

> I want to use A.txt to search in B.txt and have as output the original
> search entry (e.g. Bbb) followed by the line that follows it in the B.txt
> (e.g.  Bbb / 1234).
>
> I wrote the following script:
>

> object = open(B.txt', 'r')
>
> lista = open(A.txt', 'r')
>
> searches = lista.readlines()
>
> for line in object.readlines():
>      for word in searches:
>           if word in line:>
>                print line+'\n'

Don't give up on this group so quickly.  You will get lots of help here.

As to your problem:  Do you know about enumerate?  Learn about it
here: http://docs.python.org/library/functions.html#enumerate

if you change your code above to:
   for index, word in enumerate line:
       print line, word[index+1]

I think you will get what you are looking for

> But from here I only get the searching entry and not the line afterwards, I
> tried to google it but I got lost and didn’t manage to do it.
>
> Any ideas ? I guess that this is basic scripting but I just started .
>

> Best
>

> Afonso

Joel Goldstick