[Tutor] pip errors for numpy, scipy matplotlib

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 20:52:42 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Bjorn Madsen
<bjorn.h.madsen at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> when attempting to use pip to install numpy, scipy matplotlib I get a mile
> of errors. There is simply too much information printed - so it must be a
> systematic error (http://paste.ubuntu.com/982180/). What am I missing/doing
> wrong?

The error messages sound like you're missing a bunch of the thing
required to build the packages you're trying to compile.  It looks
like libraries called Atlas and Blas, plus a fortran compiler, from
the errors you posted.

Are you using ubuntu?  You didn't say, but I see you're using a ubuntu
pastebin.  Are you wedded to compiling and installing with pip?  It's
a whole lot easier to just use the packaging system included with
ubuntu when you can.  In this case you should be able to do `sudo
apt-get install python-numpy` to install numpy.

If you do want to compile and build via pip, I would start by doing
`sudo apt-get build-dep python-numpy` to get all the required
prerequisites installed, then retry installing via pip.

--
Jerry