[Tutor] threading mind set

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun May 13 09:10:49 CEST 2012

bob gailer wrote:
>> By the way, in future, please don't decorate your code with stars:
> I think you got stars because the code was posted in HTML and bolded.
> Plain text readers add the * to show emphasis.

I think you have it the other way around: if you add asterisks around text,
some plain text readers hide the * and bold the text. At least, I've never
seen anything which does it the other way around. (Possibly until now.)

In any case, I'm using Thunderbird, and it does NOT show stars around text
unless they are already there. When I look at the raw email source, I can see
the asterisks there.

Perhaps Carlo's mail client is trying to be helpful, and failing miserably.
While converting HTML <b> </b> tags into simple markup is a nice thing to do
for plain text, it plays havoc with code.

--
Steven