[Tutor] How to start developing a website

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sun May 13 18:27:03 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Emile van Sebille <emile at fenx.com> wrote:
> On 5/13/2012 8:08 AM Surya K said...
>
>> I have a idea (Website) which I want to develop using Django (Still
>> learning it!). Currently I am following DjangoBook (reading DataBase..).
>>
>> As I am really new to webframe works and Web development, I have a real
>> dumb question which I don't really figure out.
>>
>> # Question:
>>
>> Broadly speaking my website takes a RSS/Atom feed and try to display
>> dynamic content on its page.
>

> Have you already found http://wiki.python.org/moin/RssLibraries ?
>

>> So, with what ever I know about django
>> until now, all I can say that my project can handle creating dynamic
>> content with django but I don't figure out how to really "design" it. I
>> mean how to "design the UI part.. "..
>>
>> One way of doing is to explicitly edit the Django's HTML pages using
>> HTML, CSS, JavaScript from scratch. But I only know little HTML (I
>> cannot do the design with what I know).
>>
>> So, how can I achieve this thing..
>

> Take a look at http://www.djangosites.org/s/patternry-com/
>

>> I thought of using Adobe's Dreamweaver or any equivalent open source
>> thing but their generated HTML code can't be easily edited for "django"
>> template designing..
>>

>> Can anyone explain me on it..
>

> The folks at Django can -- see
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/faq/help/ for django resources.
>
> HTH,
>
> Emile

I haven't tried this yet, but I have heard good things about this site:
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

There is a tutorial here
http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/htmlcss-tutorials/stepping-out-with-bootstrap-from-twitter/

Basically some people from twitter and elsewhere have put together a
package that can be used with django or elsewhere to make designing
html and css for webpages.

Since you are new to django, I would recommend you just get the most
basic site going.  You will stumble and learn a lot along the way.
After that you can dress it up
--
Joel Goldstick