[Tutor] ssh socks proxy

Adam Gold adamgold at lavabit.com
Wed May 16 20:17:39 CEST 2012

I'm trying to write a 'simple' script that will set up a socks proxy over ssh and maintain the connection until manually terminated.   It's not possible to use key-based authentication so a password will need to be supplied.  Also, note, the user is presented with a list of servers to choose from at the beginning.  The actual ssh command is: 'ssh -vNCD 23333 user at host'.

I've been tinkering with both pexpect and paramiko but fear I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.  I'm aware both have example scripts for ssh forwarding but, to be honest, they are both too complicated (aka I don't know how to customise them).  Here is one script I've attempted to get working and the associated error listing:

http://pastebin.com/jj8Fgvwm - script
http://pastebin.com/jRA8zpzi - error

Could anyone help me either correct the script I've started or suggest an ockham's-razor-adherent alternative!  Many thanks.