[Tutor] Parsing data from a set of files iteratively

Spyros Charonis s.charonis at gmail.com
Sat May 19 13:42:36 CEST 2012

I have tried the following two snippets which both results in the same
error

import os, glob
os.chdir('users/spyros/desktop/3NY8MODELSHUMAN/')
homology_models = glob.glob('*.pdb')
for i in range(len(homology_models)):
python serialize_PIPELINE_models.py homology_models[i]

import os, sys
path = "/users/spyros/desktop/3NY8MODELSHUMAN/
dirs = os.listdir(path)
for file in dirs:
python serialize_PIPELINE_models.py

The error, respectively for each snipped, read:

File "<stdin>", line 2
    python serialize_PIPELINE_models.py homology_models[i]
                                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

 File "<stdin>", line 2
    python serialize_PIPELINE_models.py
                                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

In the first snippet, the final line reads:
'python' (calling the interpreter) 'serialize_PIPELINE_models.py' (calling
my python program) 'homology_models[i]' (the file to run it on)

the glob.glob routine returns a list of files, so maybe python does not
allow the syntax "python (call interpreter)" "list entry" ?

Many thanks.
Spyros